Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update...finally I have something to say!

Tomorrow I will have been in lock down for a week and it has its moments on different levels. Night time really sucks because they come in every three hours to check my vital signs, take my blood and/or give me meds. There is not a ton of sleep to be had here at hotel UCLA!! Here is the run down of what has happened over the last week......

Monday
I checked in about noon and it was official that I was a isolation patient in wing 6E at Ronald Reagan Medical Hospital. Mom and I unpacked my crap and sat here for a while. Eventually she took off to avoid the traffic (I had to make her - moms!!). They gave me my room service menu - Low bacteria diet - and I ordered lunch and then dinner...both were pretty good, but that is the last time I had a meal.

Tuesday
I started radiation, which I have never had before and was a little weird. So, for TBI (total body irradiation) they lay you on a table on your side in the corner of the room. Line you up with laser pointers to get everything in the right place and then you have to hold totally still while the machine zaps you from the other side of the room...didn't feel a thing! About an hour later, all I wanted to do was sleep and a really thick film started to form on my tongue and roof/walls of my mouth. This was from the protective meds they gave me and was most of the reason I have not been able to eat.

Wednesday
Same as above, BUT my hubby came to visit me and get my dirty laundry - LOL I felt really bad that day and decided to have a mini-breakdown for him - TADAAAA!!! Anyhow, I started to cry and say I don't want to do this and BAM - I threw up! Poor Bret...he just wanted to have a nice little visit and I go and throw up! He did great though, stayed calm, called the nurse for me and got me a wet wash cloth :o)

Thursday & Friday
Just radiation and I decided to order some soup for dinner...they delivered about 6 ounces of soup each time...luckily I wasn't that hungry and that damn film prevented me from eating anyhow!

Saturday
CHEMO day...I was dreading this because I know what high-dose chemo does to me and it is not good! Well, I did a LOT better than I thought. I did get a little dizzy during the chemo, but that was the worst of it. Bret and the boys came out to visit (and bring me my clean laundry). Bret and Daylon walked over and got us all frozen yogurt..we even got my nurse some! I was able to have it because my counts were okay so I was happy!!

And here we are Sunday morning. I just found out that I am going to get a blood transfusion, and what do you know - I already have some on reserve! A SPECIAL Thank you to Greg Neal and Lisa (Hunter) Kearley that donated blood last week - looks like you guys are the first blood to flow through my veins!! Anyone else that has some O+ that they want to give up - UCLA and I are ready to take it!! All you need to do is call (310)825-0888 ext. 2 and make an appointment. Give them my medical record number, which you can get from me by emailing me at bretnjoni2002@aol.com, and come on down and donate :o) I really really appreciate it!!!

I guess that is my update for now. I am doing well, I am at day -3 so in T-minus 3 days I get my new "birthday". My spirits are pretty high still and my Steelers are playing this afternoon - today is a good day!

Email of the day:
Joni ♥ i just wanted you to know how much of an inspiration you are to me! I am constantly praying for you and your family. You are such a fighter and you are making everyone so proud of your strength. I cannot imagine what you are going through but know that you are teaching us all what it looks like to be an inspiration, a mentor, a hero, and most of all someone who never gives up when most of us would lose patience. Your beauty and courage is something that I greatly admire about you and even in the toughest times you continue to shine. I continue to support you and pray every night for a fast and painless road to recovery. Good luck with everything coming your way starting tomorrow and know that you have so many supporters who love you and will help to keep you strong when you feel like you cannot do it alone. I love you so much & miss you joni ♥

Quote of the day:
Joni, I am thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better soon.

Have a great day everyone!!!

xoxo - Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment