Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Transplant day!!!

Today it happened! I was "reborn" at 11:31 am - the official stop time of transfusion of the stem cells. They call it your "New Birthday" when you get a stem cell transplant so everyone has been telling me happy birthday today :o) Here is how it went down.....(this is going to be a picture pages entry - fair warning)

They came in at 10:45 with a big canister that had my stem cells in it

Each bag had to be taken out and verified by two nurses and the person from the stem cell department. The bags were each flattened into a metal case that was freezing so it looked like it was steaming.


Then each bag had to go into a water bath to be defrosted


Then they hung it up on the hanger, plugged me in and each bag took about 10 minutes to get in me!


Once it started going in I smelled the icky smell that I was warned about and cannot describe. I have heard it described as corn, vegetable soup, garlic and fish....so we will leave it up to Allison and Missy tonight to decide what they think I smell like! Evidently I am going to smell like this for a few days....eewwwww!!

My mom came in just as the last bag was hung and brought me a birthday card and two books to read! That was so special because she got to be there both times I was born :o) Then I felt bad because I slept for the next 3 hours and didn't get to really visit with her.

So that is the story of my stem cell transplant! Fairly uneventful, extremely important and now a part of my history!

Other news...
I cannot even begin to Thank the following people enough for what they have done - they have given the gift of life...and in one instance not even to me but did it anyhow!

My O+ posse, whose blood will be(or already is)flowing through my veins....
Lisa Kearley
Greg Neal
Michele Cash
Kristen Cowden
Ty Romero
Arvin Villanueva
Will Campos
Missy Mandala
and
Allison Waymire - Allison is not even my type but felt that it was important to donate to someone who needed it anyhow, how cool is that!

Thank you all soo much! I am going to pay it forward somehow, some way. I will never be able to give blood, but I will think of something to do for sure!


Light the Night
Team Joni is forming nicely!! We have a big goal this year and as soon as I am out of here I want to plan some fundraisers...bowl-a-thon, bake sale, rummage sale..whatever we can think of that will be fun for the team and make some money for this cause that is so close to my heart. I started the team a couple of weeks ago and we are already at $300.00....I know we can hit that 10K mark! It is going to happen, because "Team Joni" ROCKS!!!! Thank you everyone!!

To donate or join the team, here is the link:
http://pages.lightthenight.org/ocie/InlandEm11/Teamjoni

Email of the day:
My dad is in the hospital and has been since Tuesday going through his last Chemo treatment before radiation and I have been staying the night with him and days at work. I have a new appreciation for how hard it is for you to stay positive and keep up the fight but want to make sure you know that you are never far from my thoughts. Stay positive and keep up the great energy. I'm prayin for the best for you both

Quote of the day:
It's a beautiful day for such things! ♥

xoxo - Joni

No comments:

Post a Comment