Sunday, January 2, 2011

This is what happens when I get bored...Celeb grave hunting...Huh?

On this fourth day of my stay at the UCLA Tiverton House, I decided that we needed to get out of here and do something, anything!! So, I got online and Googled "Things to do in Westwood village" and how I ended up finding Westwood Memorial Park is completely beyond me! BUT, I was intrigued so I went with it. I found that just a couple of blocks from our hotel is a cemetery that is the final resting place for famous people such as Marilyn Monroe, Natalie Wood and Don Knotts. We decided to go and check it out.

First we got derailed a little because I found out that my Steelers were on TV so I had to watch the game. Got all the way to halftime and since the Steelers were chewing up the Browns and spitting them all over the field, CBS made the executive decision to switch the game on me! Not only did they switch it, they switched it to the Raider's - Kansas City Game....now who wants to watch that?? Not me, thats for sure! I have a lot of friends that are Raiders fans, and I love my peeps...BUT I know if CBS did that to Raiders fans, they would be down at the CBS studios burning down the building...I'm just sayin! Hehehehe All in good fun, I did get to watch most of the slaughter, so I was good.

Back to the celeb grave hunting. After I had my little fit about the game, we showered and got ready to go - just in time for it to start raining!! Really...COME ON NOW!!!! Well, I wasn't going to let a little rain stop me! I put on my coat and we were outta here - we needed that fresh air! Now, when they tell you that you will miss this place unless you know exactly where to go...they are not kidding - we drove right past it! Flipped around and I punched it into my navigation, which said "your destination and location are too close" because we were right in front of the damn place! This cemetery is tucked in between skyscrapers - it is the strangest damn thing! Once you are inside, there is one loop to drive and that's it. It is a very small, intimate place that I am sure is lovely to visit when it is not pouring rain on your head...haha Here are some of the pictures that I took on our little trip...

Rodney Dangerfield...his stone says "There goes the neighborhood" LOL


Natalie Wood - did you know that she could not swim, was afraid of water and yet it is said that she drowned after falling off of her yacht trying to get into a dinghy in the middle of the night....sounds like foul play to me!!


Marilyn Monroe - Hers can be spotted very easily because the stone is discolored due to people kissing and touching it over the years - you can see kisses on the photo


Farrah Fawcett - My mom and I both just said Awwww :o(


Merv Griffin - stone says "I will not be right back after this message" hahaha


Heather O'Rourke - Now this one freaks me out a little. I don't think that I would put "Carol Anne Poltergeist I. II. III." on my 13 year old daughters grave stone. I mean, we all know that she was Carol Anne...couldn't they have just put "They're Heeeeeerrrreee"....although I am not sure how appropriate that is either!


Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon...The Odd Couple and Grumpy Old Men



Among the others that we saw were Eva Gabore, Dean Martin, Capote, Don Knotts, Carrol O'Connor and someone named Mickey. This Mickey has us totally stumped! He/she is right between Farrah Faucett and Walter Matthau and the stone just says MICKEY with a date that I cannot read in my pics. I have no freaking clue who Mickey is...but we are determined to find out! It appears that I am going back tomorrow with my friend Kris to show her, and see the ones we missed like Ray Bradbury, Bettie Page, Sidney Sheldon, Janet Leigh, Karen Carpenter and Dominique Dunne (the other sister in Poltergeist, I wonder what her parents put on there!)

That's it for my daily adventure....tomorrow we do blood work and the party starts with harvesting on Tuesday!!

Later kids!

xoxo - Joni

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I cannot wait. That sounds so sick and twisted, but this stuff interests me. LOL...I love Karen Carpenter...It will be sad to see hers and Farrah Facucett. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni,
    Mickey is Mickey Rudin. An Attorney to the stars. He was Marilyn Monroe's attorney and was one of the first people to arrive at Marilyn's house after she died. Yeah, I like Marilyn a little... :)
    ~Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Misty!! My friend Dianne told me that too..and she sent me the link to his grave site page. We looked FOREVER for who this was and were even on the same web page as Dianne and never saw it. Sure am glad the "mouse" isn't dead!

    ReplyDelete